Son on Buspar for a month. What is usual time frame for this to take effect and reduce his anxiety?

Inactive 21 Dec 2016

Wigwam, that would depend on his dose and how many times a day he is supposed to take it. I started feeling relief the first week. I started at 5mg once a day, then twice a day, then 3 times a day. Then went up to 10mg 2 times a day, then 10mg 3 times a day. At this point, I began having headaches, nausea, and dizziness. I went back to 5mg three times a day, then 2 times a day. I can't explain why, but I got more relief at the lower doses. Everyone is different. He needs to get a dosing schedule from his doctor.
Note: I also take wellbutrin SR 150mg to successfully treat my anxiety. Buspar has worked successfully for me for about 1 1/2 years now.

chuck1957 22 Dec 2016

wiggwam; In most cases your son should feel some relief from 3 to 7 days depending on the dose and his size but that is pretty general. And normally as my friend G mc said many people for some reason if the dose is higher than 5mg at a time it does not really seem to work as well or on an as needed basis. It must be taken on a regular basis for his anxiety. So give it to him as directed by the doctor to start if any problems for him please take him back to the doctor for any adjustments. But from what I have seen here most people all say it does not work very well if you only take it as needed like 1 when anxiety flairs up, it works better for most if it's in there system already good luck

Addydawn 13 Jan 2017

I was informed that it would take up to a month to take effect, although some people may experience benefits sooner. It is said to particularly work well on worry and fear type of anxiety. It's not actually an immediate use med for panic disorder like a benzodiazepine.