My son is alergic to cephalexin can he take amoxicilin?

kaismama 19 Nov 2012

You know, those who are allergic to the penicillins (amoxacillin) have a small percentage of a chance to be allergic to cephalosporins (cephalexin). I don't know if the reverse is true tho. That's one I think you should ask his doc about.

Anonymous 19 Nov 2012

These antibiotics are cousins, so no he can not take the Amoxicillin.

Cephalexin belongs to the drug class first generation cephalosporins.(Cephalosporins are a class of antibiotics closely related to penicillin).

Amoxicillin belongs to the drug class aminopenicillins.

I suggest you speak to his Dr.-

Take care,

maso.-

dellacrews3 19 Nov 2012

thanks for the answers the dr gave it to him for strep throat he took his first dose over an hour ago an is just fine no reaction or anything

kaismama 19 Nov 2012

Good, I'm allergic to penicillin and I can take cephalosporins. So its a little iffy.

Anonymous 21 Nov 2012

For future reference, the crossover percentage from penicillin to cephalexin is 15%. I am allergic to Keflex, and my doctors refuse to take the chance with penicillin.