Should someone on 60mg of Citalopram be trusted to care for a 3 yr old little girl?

DzooBaby 6 Feb 2013

The fact that they take Citalopram should have no bearing on whether or not they are compentent to take care of a child. One cannot say just because someone is on a medication they are not capable of taking care of a child.

DzooBaby 6 Feb 2013

There are many people on Citalopram that are capable of doing anything anyone can do. There are people who are not on any medications at all that cannot be trusted to do anything. There are just too many factors to consider in who is competent to care for a child. One cannot make that decisdion just on the fact they take any certain medication.

Delila 6 Feb 2013

Well said Dzoo!

Wm1979 6 Feb 2013

Thanks for your opinion.

Lisa01 6 Feb 2013

If it makes you feel any better, my daughter takes it and is a wonderful and very competent mother of a 2 yr old and 6 mos old baby. As Dzoo said very aptly, medication isn't the issue, the person taking it should be judged solely on her experience, competence and personality. Best of luck to you!
Lisa

Delila 6 Feb 2013

Well said Lisa!!

Delila 6 Feb 2013

(I can't answer in the usual way because i left comments first... )
I take 60mg of Citalopram, have done for years, and it has no bearing on whether or not i am competent to care for a child. The decision should be based upon the individual. My sister has recently given birth to my nephew and she is totally comfortable with me looking after & caring for him.

Lisa01 6 Feb 2013

Thank you, my friend!
Lisa

Dumpster Diver 6 Feb 2013

Again- very well said Dzoo and Lisa... D-Squared