Can I take Soma and Flexeril together?

Rajive Goel 8 Sep 2012

Using carisoprodol together with cyclobenzaprine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Please tell the doc/pharmacist about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to the doc/pharmacist who prescribed the meds.

Take care, best wishes!

Anonymous 8 Sep 2012

Hope all is well and have a great weekend Rajive.

Rajive Goel 10 Sep 2012

Thanks Pledge, trust you too had a good week end, take care, best wishes!

kaismama 8 Sep 2012

It is definately not a good idea to mix them. Both are Central nervous system depressents and at the least will make you sleepy, dizzy etc like raj says. The end part of CNS depression is respiratory depression.

Rajive Goel 10 Sep 2012

True, are you well? Take care, best wishes!

balbanese 8 Sep 2012

If they are prescribed that way by the same Dr I would say yes, but since there's a good chance they are not, you can easily stop breathing from respiratory depression and anything that requires coordination and reaction (um, like driving) is not recommended. Basically not a good (or smart) thing to combine these. Hope this helps.

Paige78 8 Sep 2012

They are both potent muscle relaxers. I would err on the safe side and stick to one, unless of course it was prescribed by your doctor to take together, but that seems unlikely.

MacIntosh12 11 Sep 2012

Please do not take these together, as Paige said, they are both very potent muscle relaxers. The heart is a muscle, and you really don't want to "relax" your heart into not working at all.
This is indeed very dangerous, and if your doctor prescribed both medications to be taken at the same time, find another doctor!
Good luck to you.

kaismama 11 Sep 2012

The muscles that these meds relax are called striated muscle. They are the ones on our frames. Our heart is a smooth muscle.

MacIntosh12 12 Sep 2012

Hi kaismama, isn't the quadracept a smooth muscle as well? It is affected by M.R.'s. I was told by a nurse, on this site, that the heart is definitively affected by muscle relaxers... is this untrue?
Thanks km,
Mac

MotleyGirl71 20 May 2013

I have both soma & flexeril, it is stated on my prescription bottles- Do Not Tske these medications together

Daniel42 23 Jul 2013

I am a registered medical assistant and I have taken soma and flexril together for the past 7 years and have had no side affects at all. The flexril works for my chronic neck pain. And the soma works for my chronic low back pain. These medications affect every person diffrently. I take soma now and no flexril and my back feels good and my neck is in serious pain. Soma does not work for my neck and back. Just my back.