Just a little background. I am a male 36 years old living in Quebec, Canada. I am on 150 mg of Invega Sustenna injections for schizoaffective disorder. I quit smoking for almost a year but stupid me I started to smoke again the second week of November 2014 because of stress. I also gained weight, I was previously around 162 - 165 in the summer, now I am about 178 (height 5'8).

The third week of November 2014 for about 3 days I would continuously pause breathing during sleep. It went away, but this breathing pattern started up again on December 9th up until this day (December 16th). Some nights I would sleep very well, but other nights I would be half asleep for the whole night. In the morning I would be extremely exhausted. I also noticed on the nights I sleep very well (Go to bed at 11pm and wake up at 5-6am) when waking up that early and trying to squeeze in another 1 hour of sleep, the pausing would happen continuously. I would be about to sleep in the middle of a thought and then the breathing would pause. I am wondering if this breathing problem has to do with when I am awake or being conscious just before falling asleep. I also notice I do the same pattern of pausing breaths during the day. I would be breathing and then all of a sudden it stops, having to regain the breathing process again. This happens all the time, stopping breath after a few minutes of breathing.

I am stressed and worried because of money problems also been looking for a job for a while. I am relatively inactive because I have what I believe to be, arthritis in my right knee (I am being followed for this). I know what sleep apnea is, but I am questioning whether I have sleep apnea, or the pauses of breath during the day and during sleep are anxiety related. I wonder this because why would I sleep well on some nights for most of the night, and other nights remain half asleep still conscious. At night I would be conscious of the pauses, it seems to happen when I am focused on a thought. I would think of something and then realize I am not breathing while in the thought. This would happen during the day also but I would be fully awake to regain the breathing process. I am hoping its not Central Sleep Apnea, although it feels like it is, because I am conscious of the pauses when trying to fall asleep. Also right after I notice I am not breathing I would get knots or butterflies in my stomach accompanied with a feeling of intense worry and sometimes a head rush, and also sometimes my head and body would tingle or go numb. This doesn't happen all the time.

I don't know if this is related, but before all this happened, for the months of August, September and October, while trying to fall asleep my body would suddenly and abruptly jerk just as I am about to fall asleep. I believe it is a called Hypnic Jerk. Maybe this phenomenon evolved into what is now my breathing problem. It seem now that instead of my body jerking, it has been replaced by pauses of breath. I would still get the jerking but not as much as before.

I have been on the Sustenna since February 2014 after being hospitalized for 2 months in a psychiatric institution. I went to see my GP and he referred me to a sleep clinic which I am awaiting a callback to let me know when it is. He said it could take up to 6 months. If it is Sleep Apnea I might need a CPAP.

Last night I tried sleeping without a pillow and for most of the night I slept. I woke up at 6:30am and tried to get another hour of sleep and the pausing started to happen continuously. Also I am not sure if I am breathing regularly during the nights I sleep well or the pauses are happening and I am just sleeping through it. I guess I have to wait for the sleep study to tell me.

I want to know, because some nights I sleep well (for most of the night) and other nights I don't. Could it be just anxiety related rather than the problem being sleep apnea. Isn't sleep apnea suppose to be a constant thing, or does it come and go? I also want to know if this is being caused by the 150mg of Sustenna I take once a month. Maybe it is relaxing my breathing to the point of not even breathing.

Please help.