Are there any side effects while taking Levothyroxin and working in the sun?

4N Substances 10 Jun 2013

Hello Stein,
I suggest you look up your thyroid med on this site and see if sun sensitivity is officially listed as a side effect. We know that in hypo-thyroidism one often feels overheated or too cold. I have heard of patients breaking out in a sort of "heat rash" which they suspected was related to this med. Sorry I could not provide more certainty with my reply. Best of luck to you.

4N Sunstances aka Frenchie

endlessPred 10 Jun 2013

Often there are other diseases or disorders that are being treated with thyroid replacement therapies. If you have any heart problems, you should be cautiously watched. As for sun and exercise, use plenty of sun screen and reapply every two hours to avoid sunburn and its stress on your system. I have found nothing regarding problems in the sun. However, there are may medications that do interact including antibiotics. If your thyroid medication is still being adjusted you will need to watch for excessive sweating and overheating which could be serious.

When in doubt call your pharmacist or physician to be sure all the medications and supplements you take don't have such side effects.