What are the side effects of just stopping lithium 300 mg 2x a day?

masso 15 Jun 2016

Hi,

Side effects occur when you first start taking the medication, you would experience withdrawals after you have been on a medication and stopped suddenly.

Lithium does not have withdrawals (it is not an addictive drug), but it does have a relapse in bipolar symptoms such as mania or hypomania, if stopped abruptly.

I suggest you talk to your Dr. first before you stop abruptly.

Best of luck... masso.-

masso 15 Jun 2016

I know because I am bipolar also.

WildcatVet 15 Jun 2016

Hi, Brindle! Being a depressed/aggressive Bipolar subtype I would warn you not to stop your lithium abruptly as the rebound symptoms can be severe. I didn't stop voluntarily but because I was hospitalized for an unrelated condition. The mixed cycle depression/mania/violence led to a further hospitaliztion.
Please contact your prescribing physician for advice before you consider stopping your medication!
Best wiahes, Wildcat