I have just taken my first tablet of fosamax for ostioporosis,and after reading about some of the side effects this drug has like jaw problems I dont think that i will continue with the remainder of the course.
Common side effects of Fosamax are:
* Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- in up to 6.6 percent of people
* Bone, muscle, or joint pain -- up to 6 percent
* Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 3.4 percent
* Constipation -- up to 3.1 percent
* Diarrhea -- up to 3.1 percent
* Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) -- up to 2.8 percent
* Gas -- up to 2.6 percent
* Headaches -- up to 2.6 percent.
Some severe side effects which need to be reported to the doc who prescribed the meds are:
* Throat pain, chest pain, or difficulty swallowing (which may be signs of ulcers of the esophagus)
* Severe heartburn or heartburn that does not go away
* Severe bone, muscle, or joint pain
* Jaw or tooth problems
* Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, and unexplained swelling.
You should seek medical attention, maybe the doc would prescribe an alternate, hope this helps?
- Fosamax Information for Consumers
- Fosamax Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Fosamax (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 12 Jan 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 15 Dec 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 19 Feb 2012 • 4 answers
Posted 29 May 2015 • 1 answer
Posted 8 Jul 2016 • 1 answer