Skip to Content

Should you use Bactrim if yu are allergic to penicillian?

Responses (3)

Inactive 14 Mar 2011

Bactrim is a sulfa drug and many are also allergic to it. It is not the same as penicillin but you still might be allergic to it.

caringsonbj 14 Mar 2011

if you have Urinary symptoms probably the best thing to do is contact you personal physician and explain your symptoms to him, usually doctors should do what is known as a culture and sensitivity test, the culture tells the name of the bacteria and then the sensitivity tells what antibiotic that is is most responsive to, if you are allergic to Penicillin then it is important that the doctor know this, Bactrim is a drug that contains sulfa that is usually effective against Urinary tract infections but this would show on a sensitivity test, No antibiotic should be given without the circumstances being known by the physician and it should be prescribed by the doctor, also at time Doctors will prescribe a topical analgesic that turns the urine in color, it works while waiting on the antibiotic to get into your system. drinking Cranberry Juice by a company named Northland has always been helpful to me, you need to contact the doctor as soon as possible

LaurieShay 14 Mar 2011

Bactrim is a sulfa type antibiotic not a penicillin based one. There is no way to know whether you are allergic to the Bactrim unless you try it. Just because you are allergic to the penicillin doesn't necessarily mean you will be allergic to the sulfa drugs.

Allergic reaction includes the following:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness);

If you develop any of these symptoms, you should call the doctor immediately or go to the ER.

Be sure your doctor knows of all of your allergies before dispensing any new medication.

Good luck,

Laurie free discount card

Further Information

Search for questions

Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.

Similar Questions