Should tamsulosin 0.4mg be stopped before surgery?

Marvell 5 Mar 2011

Please discuss this with the surgeon.

Tamsulosin can affect your pupils during cataract surgery. Tell your eye surgeon ahead of time that you are using this medication. Do not stop using tamsulosin before surgery unless your surgeon tells you to.

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/tamsulosin.html

caringsonbj 5 Mar 2011

Marvell is right!!! Be sure and let your doctor know several days prior to the surgery so if they want you to discontinue the medication then you will be able to do so and have plenty of time to do so. I hope this has been of help

Frank D 5 Mar 2011

I'm not having eye surgery, it's the opposite end. I'm having surgery on Tuesday and and are unable to contact anyone this weekend. So, to be safe I'll stop Saturday and Sunday's dose and call Monday morning. Thank you all for your comments.

caringsonbj 5 Mar 2011

Hey,
Since it's not eye surgery just be sure you allow the surgeon and the anesthesiologist plenty of time so if they don't want you on it then they have a week or longer to stop it, in Indiana we have a surgery center they call ask you what drugs you are on they talk to the anesthesiologist before you come in and he talks with the surgeon and they make the decision if you can take this or not let us know how you get along...

Frank D 6 Mar 2011

I had that call from the surgery ctr a couple of weeks ago, but this medication was prescribed about a week and a half ago. I will call the surgery ctr on Monday and in the mean time I'll discontinue the Tamsulosin just in case. Thanks for the info