how is this medication obtained? if a patient has it at home how is it administered? My healthy 36 yr old son died this week and I am desperately seeking answers. This drug was found in the same room with him... I know the toxicity report and autopsy will provide answers but I need to know how or where he could have obtained this and not understood how lethal it was?
I'm so sorry. It is inhaled. He most likely got it on the street, its used for anesthesia, its not something that a person would have at home. Its used by hospitals, dentists and veterinarians. People who do drugs don't have the same mind set we do. You tell them its dangerous and its one of these it wouldn't happen to me things. I'm not to into what is going on with the drugs on the street, as far as new things. I don't know if this has become something popular or what. Someone else may.
Sevoflurane is an inhaled drug used as a general anesthetic. It would NEVER be prescribed for home use. It is not used for pain or anything like that. It is strictly used for "knocking people out" for surgery or invasive procedures so it would never be given for home use. I would bet he got this from someone "on the street". It can get stolen or taken from surgery centers, veterinary offices, dentists etc because it is not a controlled substance like fentanyl is so it may not be "counted" like narcotics are and could easily go missing but it is not usually a drug of abuse. The only inhalent like this that I know of abused on "the streets" is nitrous oxide or "laughing gas" because it makes the user feel giddy and "high". This drug doesnt do that but if he had used nitrous before, he may have thought or had been told that this is "similar" even though it is not. Drug dealers only care about making money. not peoples lives.This drug can only be used by Drs specially trained in anesthesia and much equipment is needed because they usually intubate the person so they can keep a patent airway and give oxygen. It is a dose related cardiac depressant so too much and it stops the heart. Why someone would try to use something like this for "kicks" is beyond me. It is very dangerous! Even docs make mistakes sometimes but in a hospital or surgery center they have equipment and drugs to resuscitate people if too much drug is inadvertently given. Young people and people who use drugs do not seem to realize how dangerous some of these drugs are. Some idiot tells them how cool it is and they want to try it and they always think that they can take it and nothing will hurt them and then this is the result. If you can find out whoever sold this crap to your son, you should see them in prison before they kill someone else! I am so so very sorry! I know that this must be heartbreaking and confusing to you! Take comfort in the fact though that he didnt suffer when he died. He just slipped in to unconsciousness and never woke up. It is about the least painful death one could have. He wasnt depressed was he? No reason to commit suicide? If he knew anything about it as a drug, he would have known that it was a painless easy way to die. Sorry I dont mean to offend you or upset you. Just trying to look at all sides as you try to make sense of this! It is a terrible waste for such a young man with his whole life ahead of him and I feel deeply grieved for you! I had two dear cousins who died young and I know how much it devastates a whole family! I hope that you find some answers so you have a sense of closure.
- Sevoflurane Information for Consumers
- Sevoflurane Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Sevoflurane (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 29 May 2014 • 4 answers
Posted 11 Sep 2014 • 1 answer
Posted 29 May 2015 • 3 answers
Aricept 5 Is being administered in the morning 10 am upon rising. At 7 am or so Alz patient wakes up
Posted 12 Mar 2016 • 0 answers
Posted 14 Aug 2016 • 0 answers