I have had sleep paralysis since I was about three or four and I'm looking for ways to prevent having anymore episodes. I have tried meditation, listening to calming music, and lucid dreaming, however I still have sleep paralysis.

I've had two types of sleep paralysis. Before I was seven I would have something similar to sleep paralysis, but I was not paralyzed at all. In fact, I would often sleep walk. It took me a while, but started recognizing that the nightmares were just dreams and not real. Even so, the paralysis persisted, and it seems like its always accompanied by a low pitch buzzing noise.

When I was seven a traumatic event occurred and actual sleep paralysis followed. I would be unable to move in my bed, and the low pitch buzzing noise would start up. I still have this now. And even though I'm not able to see this, there is always a dark figure accompanying this noise. It will try grabbing my hands or push my face into the pillow so I can not breath.

Even though I know its not real it still scares me, enough so that I would try to avoid sleep. I would pass out often and sleep for 2 hours at a time, getting about 6 hours of sleep a night (well, morning too since I usually fell asleep around 4 or 5 am). Now I go to bed by 1 am but I still wake up every two hours, sometimes more, but I feel rested enough to go on with my day.

I take medication, Abilify and Lamictal. I haven't kept track of the correlation, but I think whenever I take a Xanax (for panic attacks so its taken as needed) the sleep paralysis is more scary. I have borderline personality disorder, bi-polar I, and anxiety disorder.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.