I have severe insomnia from parnate and nothing seems to work for sleep?

Beyondbipolar 2 Aug 2018

I've taken Parnate (the generic form tranylcypromine) since 2013. I've had bad insomnia for many years before I started the MAOI, so I didn't think it was due to the med.

Last week my psychiatrist recommended my taking 1-2 grams of the supplement L-tryptophan at night. He said it's safe to take with the MAOI and that it has helped some of his patients. I bought an OTC brand called NOW. It's too soon to tell if it's helping me (due to my getting a horrible period right when I started it which has kept me up at nights) but I'll keep taking it to see what happens...

hardinr 2 Aug 2018

Don’t take it too close to bedtime. I never take it after 3:00 PM.

(Also, if you just began taking it, like in the past couple of weeks, then you should know the insomnia will decrease in severity over time).

Inactive 5 Aug 2018

Xyrem might help if everything fails, but that's a very dangerous drug. Most of the sleep specialist is paranoid about prescribing this Rx.