After 5-6 years of taking small dose of Seroquel (25mg nightly for last couple years), I am finally going to try to stop altogether. It's been a little over a week now. Worst problem is, naturally, inability to sleep much. Other symptoms are extreme itchiness (which I read here is common), feeling 'sick' almost to point of calling it nauseated, and terrible headaches unrelieved by Advil. When I go to bed, I have tried taking Advil, Benadryl, Benadryl and Melatonin, Advil and Melatonin, Percocet, Xanax, on various nights, trying to get to sleep. The most effective seems to be Xanax. On the other hand, I don't know if it's productive to just substitute another drug that I'll just have to get off of too. I had one excellent night's sleep, unfornately can't remember what I took that night in addition to Benadryl, but that is the ONLY night I've had any deep sleep. I feel pretty awful. A few brief times I've been aware of being a little manic, but I'm self-aware and it passed. I'm visiting family in another state for the holidays and away from my regular MD (who always wants me to just keep taking Seroquel). A psychiatrist I consulted for situational depression last summer wanted me to get off of it and take something else for my sleep problems (which were the main reason I started on it 5-6 years ago) such as Melatonin or Ambien. I tried Ambien 6-7 years ago and it only helped minimally.
I guess I am mainly asking for encouragement, people who have been through this withdrawal and can offer advice/support/suggestions... I'm wondering if I will ever feel good again and how long that might take. I know I went on Seroquel for a reason (sleep problems and very mild manic/depression) but I don't like the idea of taking this drug for so long. I have no other health problems and take no other medications; I have a small amount of Xanax that my MD prescribed at my request, and even smaller access to Percocet low dose from my mother's prescription. I decided now would be a good time to do this withdrawal and am determined to see it through... but I sure don't feel good.