Seroquel - my 8yr old has just been given this med. Is it safe for children that age?

itsmetoo2 23 Feb 2010

I would call AstraZeneca for advice.

Information Center: 1-800-236-9933
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. ET, excluding holidays

December 4, 2009 – Wilmington, DE – AstraZeneca (NYSE: AZN) today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved SEROQUEL (quetiapine fumarate) Tablets for the treatment of schizophrenia in adolescents (13-17 years of age) as monotherapy, and for the acute treatment of manic episodes associated with bipolar I disorder in children and adolescents (10-17 years of age), both as monotherapy and as an adjunct to lithium or divalproex.

http://www.astrazeneca-us.com/?itemId=7659483

clm1970 23 Feb 2010

Hello, in practice, I am seeing Seroquel being utilized quite a lot, predominantly in individuals who are on the Autism spectrum or have some type of developmental challenge or challenges. It is being given for impulse, mood stabilization, and anger control; also, Seroquel is being used in low doses for anxiety symptoms and also as an agent to help for insomnia. You ask if it is safe; honestly, no one, not even the FDA, in my clinical opinion can say, yes it is absolutely safe, without any risks but neither can they say the opposite, no it is not safe, possessing many risks. The reasons for giving this medication or any medication should be weighed if some symptom or symptoms or circumstance or circumstances are interfering with the person's, child or adult, quality of life, keeping or prohibiting he or she from attaing or performing necessary tasks, such as ADL's, school ect., causing so much dysfunction, some type of intervention (s) are necessitated, whether direct, indirect, or optimally both. However, I would strongly confer to your prescriber that your wishes that if you do decide to utilize this medication, you prefer to start with the lowest dose possible, which in my calculations could be 6.25mg of Seroquel (this is 1/4th of a Seroquel 25mg, yes it is challenging to cut into 1/4ths, but worth all precautions you can) START LOW and GO SLOW. Remember, it you can always give more, if necessitated, but you cannot take it away, once the medication has been ingested. For optimal benefti (s), don't rely on the Seroquel to be the only intervention and except, unreasonably so, that whatever challenge you are medicating for will easily resolve. If you implement the medication with another intervention, reinforcer, such as some type of individual therapy, which can be brief and does not mean that your child will be in psychoanalysis the rest of his life. Simply, it helps build and maintain a therapeutic outcome, whatever it is or maybe. Sorry for the long dissertation but hope that any of it may be helpful. Lastly, one more issue to consider is that any medication brings with it risks as well as benefits whether it is Seroquel or Penicillin. Best wishes to you, Cindy