Is it safe to take Effexor 75 mg and Celexa 20 mg together?

WildcatVet 9 Apr 2014

Hi, mulder! There is a risk of a condition known as serotonin syndrome, but it's extremely rare and doctors commonly prescribe antidepressants from different classes (Effexor is an SSNI and Celexa is an SSRI) as they affect different neurotransmitters. Just be sure to work closely with your doctor.
This is from the Interactions Checker at the top of this page:
Best wishes, WCV
https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=679-335,2296-1524

mulder228 9 Apr 2014

Hello WCV. Thanks for your response. The doctor told me the same thing but I still worry. Probably why I need the meds! Ever since I can remember I've had anxiety and depression. I really appreciate your response. Thanks! :)

tonyplake 10 Apr 2014

Mulder22,
You are on low doses of both Celexa and Effexor. I have had serotonin syndrome, but I was on 60 mg. Cymbalta + 325 mg. Effexor + 100 mg. Trazodone + 75 mg. Elavil. As it turns out my psychiatrist should have never given me the Cymbalta with the large dose of Effexor. My pharmacist actually REFUSED to fill the Cymbalta with the Effexor.
We don't always know what our doctors are doing. They may be running their own clinical trial, working on a publication, but that was a red flag for me for sure. It took me, my talk talk therapist, AND the pharmacist to convince my GP doc that something was really quite wrong with my thinking and behavior. Now I only take Cymbalta (Duloxotine) for chronic pain.
I think if you give these meds a chance, you will find you are less anxious after several months.
All the best, Tony

mulder228 11 Apr 2014

Thanks Tony! That makes me feel better. I do also have high blood pressure & high cholesterol (controlled with meds). I read online that Effexor can increase both. So I called my doc and I'm being switched to Paxil (which I took in the past) and Buspar. I hope this combo works. I have severe anxiety mixed with depression. Guess I'll see how I do after a few weeks. Thanks for you answer!