Whats the safe and correct reduction amount to be reduced off benzos after six years?

balbanese 9 Jun 2014

Your prescribing Doc would be the best source for what would work best for you, however, considering 6-years of use I would recommend a 10% reduction every three prescriptions then 5% the final for the final 3. Yes, this will take months but key here is to be as gradual as possible over he longest time possible, the longer and slighter the better. Hope this helps.

pamee 9 Jun 2014

You need to let your doctor help you with this so he/she can prescribe you lower doses when needed. You want to do a very slow taper so not to experience withdrawal syndrome. Don't do no more than a 10% cut and stay on that dose for 10-14 days or until you're stable then do another cut. When you get real low on your dose you can go to a compound pharmacy so they can make them up for you, also towards the end of your taper you may want to ask your Dr for liquid diazepam to continue your taper with no withdrawals. I was taking xanax and it took me around 18-20 months to finally jump off the benzos for good. I wish you all the luck!
God bless,
pamee