I can not run due to knee pain, please advise me on what to do?

Factfinder411 11 Jun 2013

Goto your primary doctor and then they may refer you to an orthopedist depending on how much pain, swelling, and diagnosis. For pain Advil is the best because it will work for pain and swelling. Icy hot or the thera care patches are good they wrap around the knee. Take it easy and take a bath with Epsom salt that worked for me when I used to run.

kathyhanson 11 Jun 2013

Can you tell us what is causing the knee pain? Did you injure it? Is it swollen? Red? Please provide more info.

sara12345 11 Jun 2013

For one thing, stop running until your knee stops hurting. Go to the doctor to get a diagnosis if it doesn't stop hurting in a few days. As well as the other suggestions above, my husband got a very simple needle surgery for his knee, then after some more years, he was told, that's it with the running. He had worn down the bone too much. An orthopedic pad in your shoes (by prescription) may also help you. Running is especially hard on the knees. Try walking, swimming, bicycling or rowing, if it doesn't cause pain. Good luck.

C.E. 13 Jun 2013

I don't know what is causing your knee pain, but I know that if it is arthritis, it may be helped by taking up to 6,000 mgs of Glucosammine and Chondroiton per day, as well as adding up to 3 grams of Tylenol, in divided doses. Please check with your doctor to see if this would be fine for you. The Ibuprofen can be more harmful to your system, such as causing irritation to your stomach, dizziness, etc. Best wishes.