Rizatriptan - What is the best migraine medicine?

Mackintosh 8 Sep 2015

Are you asking if Rizatriptan (Maxalt) is the best migraine medication?
There are 2 main types of migraine meds: Preventative & Abortive.
Maxalt is in a commonly Rx'ed class of abortive drugs to take during a Migraine attack called Triptans.
It seems to be preferred by many Migraneurs I know; however, I have not tried it yet. I have tried other Triptans, incl. Imitrex, Zomig, Axert, & Relpax so far. I have had the best results with the least side effects continually with Relpax. I also use an Ergot-based abortive Rx for Migraine attacks called Migranal which has been very effective for me as well. However, none of the drugs mentioned above will help prevent a Migraine attack from occurring.
If that is what you are looking for, I suggest discussing this issue with your doctor.
No one migraine medicine is 'the most effective' overall; everyone reacts differently to each medication and it can take some trial & error to find the one that works best for YOU. ;)