Is Ritalin ok for a 6 year old for adhd?

BrentDG 21 Aug 2015

Ritalin has been generally established as safe for children as young as 6, but it's really up to a doctor to decide if it's appropriate for *your* 6-year-old. Personally, as an adult being treated with stimulants for ADHD, I feel that it's a good idea to have a psychiatrist's opinion - not just a general care doctor - before starting that sort of treatment.

Remember, you can always get another opinion if you're concerned, and you can always say "no" if you feel something isn't right for your child. That said, proper treatment for ADHD has been shown to help affected children do much better academically, socially, and at home.

I'd say make sure you have that psych's opinion, do some research, and follow your gut. You'll do what's best for your child. :-)

- B

carcrazy989 21 Aug 2015

I was first prescribed Ritalin when I was 7 so you should be problem-free