Can risperdal be taken for anxiety?

balbanese 31 May 2012

From drugs.com, hope this helps:

Risperdal is an antipsychotic medication. It is an "atypical antipsychotic". It works by changing the effects of chemicals in the brain.

Risperdal is used to treat schizophrenia and symptoms of bipolar disorder (manic depression). It is also used in autistic children to treat symptoms of irritability.

Anonymous 31 May 2012

Hello dawnie7. Risperdal is perscribed off label for anxiety. It is often perscribed for anxiety disorders in Autism. Regards, pledge

Anonymous 3 Jun 2012

Dear Dawnie:

I take Risperdal as well it is a good drug for depression, anxiety I'm not sure I can ask my psychiatrist. It doesn't mention anxiety, now you got me curious I'll be sure to ask for information from the pharmacist for info.

Risperdal may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Take care,
Abby

theresa06 3 Nov 2013

It helps your depression how much do u take

Anonymous 22 Jul 2012

Risperdal is NOT an anxiolytic (like Klonopin, Ativan, and Xanax.) However it's anti-psychotic effects MAY aid in reduction of anxiety.

But to answer your question... NO

Kolinopin 4 Aug 2012

But to answer your question... NO

Anonymous 8 Sep 2012

I know my answer is old, but it may help others,like me who came about it.

Risperidone (risperdal) has also been used off-label for the treatment of anxiety disorders.-

All the best,

maso.-

theresa06 3 Nov 2013

Does it work for anxiety and depression

theresa06 3 Nov 2013

Does anyone take it for anxiety or depression