Replacement for paregoric?

piperlu 15 Dec 2010

I have been taking paregoric for many years and my doctor has been having me change to tincture of opium. Tincture of opium does the same at slowing down the intestines. For now i do both, but am trying to quit paregoric since it is very high in alcohol. (Now that paregoric is hard to find i use the tincture more.) My pharmacist is making me paregoric and it works but is not exactly the same as before. Also, they don't know how long they will be able to get the ingredients. I do not know why you are taking paregoric but i hope this helps.

constant diarrhea1 18 Mar 2012

I am in desperate need for help in controlling the diarrhea I've had since I had to have surgery in 2004 to remove all but the stem of my colon and several feet of my small intestines. Can you tell me how to get help?

piperlu 5 Apr 2012

I would contact my gastroenterologist and he will find the right thing for your condition. You can suggest the use of opium tincture since he may not have thought of that. Other things are the type of foods you eat but you probably know that.Another idea is talking to your pharmacist about it. They have good ideas that can be different from your doctor. I hope this helps.