Can anyone tell me what their experience has been with tapering off of remeron/mirtazapine. I am taking 15 mg at bedtime since Mid Sept 2013.

I understand the first person to ask is my doc. My doc told me take 7.5 mg for 1 week and then stop altogether. My pdoc says I can stop quickly as well, he does not think it is helping much for anxiety.

However, I do think it has helped my for sleep and also appetite. I tried lexapro and zoloft back in Sept and Nov, both had the typical adverse side effects which would not let up. So I do not take those.

I do take either 0.25 mg or 0.5 mg of klonopin during the day. Never more than the 0.5 mg, and that would be split into 2 doses.

I was told I have GAD and maybe OCD issues. I do therapy and she is not so sure about the GAD. My anxiety seems to largely stem from 2 or 3 major issues in my life. Work related stress being the main one.

The other two are, ironically, issues I never even thought about before my anxiety hit me back in July. I had lost 15 lbs and was not big to begin with. I have gained almost all of that back. So gaining my weight back became an obsession. The other issue is the meds themselves. I am med phobic and have a large degree of anxiety about taking any of these types of meds.

However, what I am taking now has helped me to bring the anxiety down to much lower levels. It still flares up once in awhile. My first choice is to manage it with no meds if at all possible.

It is worse during the day if it hits me, hence the reason no one is questioning the use of klonopin (except myself and my constant worry about taking it for too long). My pdoc says klon can be used and he did not seem too worried about the dosage I am on. I was told I could take up to 1.5 mg a day, I have never done more than 0.5 mg a day.

Anyway, the last time I attempted to stop remeron was when i first started lexapro. The pdoc said my reactions were due to the lexapro. He discounted me having any problems stopping the remeron.

I should say I am thinking about stopping the remeron and do not plan to do it before I speak with him in a couple of weeks. But given what he has told me in the past, I am thinking he will recommend a quick taper.

What I do not want to do is stop too quickly, I have time to take it slow and make sure the effects of stopping the remeron are minimized.

thanks