Reclast - have joints & muscle pain for 2 weeks now after infusion how long does pain usually last?

suzanne66 27 May 2013

Typically joint pain from Reclast subsides within 14 days.

mc jackson 27 May 2013

Thank you for your answer.I am now pass the two week mark and no relief in sight,I was wondering if exersize might help some sinse the pain seems to be stayinf in the same locations what do you think?

sara12345 27 May 2013

You should look at the posting on Drugs.com, "Lingering bone and joint pain after reclast?" One woman talks about problems for 3 years which started 24 hours after getting the drug. Reclast is in bisphosphonates class. From Consumer Reports, "We have long advised... that Fosamax, Boniva, and other drugs in this class, known as bisphosphonates, offer only modest benefits in building bone and preventing fractures. And, they pose some risks: throat or chest pain, difficulty swallowing, and heartburn. More rare but serious and LONG-LASTING (emphasis added) adverse effects include abnormal heart rhythm (atrial fibrillation); incapacitating bone, joint, and muscle pain; and bone loss in the jaw (osteonecrosis)."

kathyhanson 29 May 2013

mc jackson,
I am also getting zoledronic acid infusions (Zometa, not Reclast). I have received these treatments since 2004 as part of my treatment for multiple myeloma. I still have some joint and muscle pain for a few days after the infusion. As your body gets used to the meds, the severity of the pain will lessen and be shorter in duration. Give it a few more months and see if you do better after your infusions. Also, I am always given 50mg of benadryl before the infusion to help with some of these side effects. When you see your doctor next, discuss your pain/discomfort concerns with him/her and ask if a pre-infusion dose of benadryl would be beneficial for you.
I hope you feel better soon.
Kathy

endlessPred 29 May 2013

Hi Kathy. Just a quick note. Many infusions require Benadryl given before. IGG, rituxin, etc. are given that way. It is to prevent an immediate reaction to the foreign substance one is receiving preventing or reducing the chance of an allergic reaction.

I wonder if it should be given with these long term Med's like suggested here. I stopped taking fosamax and then Bonita because I would always be sick and hurting for two or three days after. K

kathyhanson 29 May 2013

Karen,
Yes, I get benadryl before my IgG infusion every week, and also before my zoledronic acid infusion. The benadryl helps me alot with the side effects of the zoledronic acid. In fact, when I first started the zoledronic acid in 2004, I got a pre-treatment IV cocktail of benadryl, Kytril (for nausea), and ativan. The doctor gave me these meds before the infusion for about 6 months to help me get over the initial, expected side effects/reactions to the medicine. Since then, though, he gives me only the benadryl before EVERY infusion of zoledronic acid. I think benadryl should be given before all infusions of long-term meds. It makes a huge difference for me!
Thanks for your comments,
Kathy

eggoodwin 3 Nov 2013

I was concerned about this side effect since I have fibromyalgia and have constant muscle aches. My doctor said due to the half life of this drug, that the side effect of the painful muscles can last for 1 year.

patty_oka 15 Sep 2016

You need to drink a lot of liquids & have a iv of some type of liquid before you get the medication and a couple of asprin like meds also that day