I've been on klonopin for 4 years at 2 mg per day. I am at the point where I am ready to stop taking it, and have the blessing of my doctor, but he does not know enough about the medicine to help me or answer my questions. Moreover, I've read recently emerging data that says Klonopin can cause permanent memory issues and is not intended for long term use. I have studied Klonopin and getting off of the medicine to a great deal. I'm aware a slow taper is recommended to prevent a number of extremely bad withdrawal symptoms; however, the recommended taper via the Ashton manual etc. would have me on the medicine for four more months, and I'm not even sure if I would have very bad withdrawal symptoms as it's different for everyone and I've missed doses and the consequences were bearable. Even if it got really bad, I would greatly prefer to go through hell if that means I can come off the medicine sooner and avoid any further damage I may be causing. I don't have any doubt in my ability to do this, and would like to taper just slow enough to avoid any seizure risk, which is minimal at my dose.

MY Q: What I would like to know is, if I do a rapid taper compared to what is traditionally recommended by the Ashton manual etc. could I be causing myself any permanent damage that would be spared by doing a slower taper?

If anyone is out there, please let me know your thoughts, as I would like to get started tapering right away. Thanks so much <3