My name is Kim, I'm a 24 year old newlywed and I was diagnosed with RA a week and a half ago. (What a great beginning to my marriage... lol) My doctor put me on Mobic (anti-inflammatory) before she received my blood test results and then prescribed methotrexate and folic acid when she was sure it was RA. She said I could continue taking Mobic if I felt like I needed it but she couldn't see/feel a difference in my joints after taking it for 2 wks. I went a few days without taking the mobic but decided to get back on it after a few bad flare ups. I'm really not sure if its helping or not, as my flare ups are not very consistent and i can't tell if other flare ups are being prevented.

I took my second dose of methotrexate today and I don't seem to be experiencing any side-effects! I know methotrexate is a popular medication. How long does it take, on average, to kick in? Has anyone experienced hair-loss on methotrexate? I know it's superficial, but that's the side effect i'm most worried about.

Does anyone know of any good up to date books for young women with RA? I've checked out a few from the library but they were published a few years ago and I find myself wanting to highlight in them but I can't. So I need some books of my own!

Any advice or recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks!