I was diagnosed with GAD and given Mirtazapine. I took that for almost 2 months (no other med) ending at 30 mg for 18 days. Toward the end of the 18 days, I felt more anxious. I was told by my GP to give it more time, but I felt I needed something else.

She suggested a switch to lexapro. I took tjat for 8 days at 10 mg, but had a very bad experience with it. I was told to stop at day 8. My GP then recommended a psych as she felt this was not her field of expertise.

In the meantime, I was given klonopin to help during the day, with only 15 mg of mirtazapine at bedtime (to help with appetite and sleep, I had lost 15 lbs in the two months prior to these meds, so gaining weight was one of my goals. This regimen lasted for about 4-5 weeks.

Last week, I finally got into a psych. He told me to keep up with the mirtazapine and klonopin (i should say i take 0.25 mg klon BID). He told me if need be, i could add a third 0.25 mg of klon at bedtime. I have not yet done that. I tend to be more relaxed at bedtime with the mirtazapine, so I did not feel a need to take more klon at that time.

My psych feels the mirtazapine was not effective for my anxiety (based on 18 days at 30 mg) He says the energizing feeling I was getting would be great for depression, but not helpful for anxiety (this is my problem). he also says I could treat my anxiety with klon only. But this would be a bit more dangerous over a long period of time. Hence, the reason he added an SSRI.

My psych has added (Zoloft) sertraline starting at 12.5 mg, to move up to 25 mg in a week, then 50 mg a week after that.

I tend to be very sensitive to meds it seems. It is hard for me to believe that 12.5 mg of zoloft would have much of any effect. But it tends to make me a bit tired for about 2 hours after taking it, then about 5-6 hour after taking it I feel like I just drank a pot of coffee.

Very jittery, shaky, odd bowel feelings. Today is my 5th day of taking 12.5 mg. Last night about 5-6 hours after taking it, I felt very odd. I do not want to say I felt like passing out, but it felt like I was heading in that direction.

I never passed out on Lexapro, just terrible nausea where i could not move at all, and upset stomach with diarrhea all day, every day. I also had a strange warm sensation moving thru my body with the lexapro. These things started on Day 2 of lexapro.

With the Zoloft, I have not had anything like that so far. Which is a good sign. But I am also concerned why I would be getting some of these SE's on such a low dose.

I am med phobic. I tend to think these pills make you worse, not better. I have no reason to believe that. It is just one of my fears. So I tend to pay attention to EVERY feeling in my body and attribute it to the pill.

So my question is, does anyone have these SE's on only 12.5 mg of Zoloft? Or, is this my anxiety about taking these pills that is causing my problems? I get so nervous about taking them my stomach is in knots.

This effects my ability to eat or have an appetite, which fuels my fear about losing the weight I have managed to gain back this past month.

Also, my anxiety over taking the zoloft (or the zoloft itself) has seemed to negate any benefit I was getting from the klonopin.

Now, I am only taking 0.25 mg klonopin at a time. Is this dose enough to have an impact on anxiety?

My psych says he wants me calmed way down, even if that means taking an additional .25 mg of klon a day.

the goal is to get me to Zoloft only, with no need for mirtazapine or klonopin at all. sounds great, but seems so far away right now it is hard to imagine it happening.