I just want to let my friends and anyone who is interested on drugs.com know where I'm at right now in regards to my PTSD. I've posted in a response last week about this, but really would like to share with you all. I seem to be coming to a conclusion, able to stop almost all meds.

Ever since my severe decline in which it felt like I had begun a non-stop fall, I had luckily been put back on my feet with heavy use of medication. 6 mg of Klonopin, 200mg Zoloft, 4mg Minipress, another alpha blocker (forgot the name), 250 mg (?) Nuvigil, 300 mg Tramadol, 50 mg of Quetiapine, and 35 mg of Methadone. This is what I was taking a few months ago (unless I forgot one - oh yah, meds for migraines). Once these piles of medications put me back on my feet I started a vigorous routine of practicing the Martial Arts at home. I have been involved with this Art for almost 20 years now, therefore not really needing an instructor to practice the variety of forms as well as several weapons (katana, manrikigusari, tanto, o-wakizashi, bo, etc.) that I have learned.

Ever since I had become sick with PTSD, Chronic Pain and etc. this was an activity that I had stopped. Now that I practice twice a day almost every day I found my need for medication has completely dropped out. By decreasing the dose at a very very slow rate (so that I don't get rebound effects, something that can easily alter a persons perception of still needing a medication) I have come to feel better every day, able to wake up in the morning and feel good (vs. being so tiered that it literally hurts). I have dropped the Klonopin down to 1 mg, 75 / 50 mg of Zoloft, 100 mg Tramadol, no more need for the Nuvigil, no more need for the Quetiapine, and 1 mg of the Minipress. The chronic pain however remains completely untouched. Any decrease doesn't cause withdrawals right away, however cause for the sensation of several nails punctured allover the body (good times).

As I have stated I am not off my meds as of yet (not including the methadone) but so far have been extremely successful in the reduction. I am verging on stunned that by simply practicing a combo of Aikido, Karate (various styles), as well as several other forms, it has not only replaced my need for medication, but works much better as I feel more clear than I have for the last seven years or so. As the meds decrease I feel like a blur both emotionally as well as physically is in process of being lifted. I know that each and every person's body chemistry is different, however in my case this art is nothing more than a moving meditation and has put my symptoms to a halt. It really feels like I'm fighting demons. When I don't practice daily I can feel my energy slip as well as my mental condition, thus it really does feel like a demon is trying to regain it's strength and re-enter my body (I know it's not literally demons, but does feel like something on those lines). Luckily this is something that I love doing.

The one thing that I am completely baffled by is the chronic pain, totally untouched by anything that I do. No matter what my diet may be, what physical exercise and or meditation that is done, it doesn't change even in the most slightest of ways.

Once again, everyone is different and I know that my story would not ring true for many. I am comfortable enough with the martial arts that I can practice at home without an instructor (not by any means saying that I've mastered any one of the arts as there is no such thing). However, due to my level of comfort it is much easier for me to utilize this art in a meditative way unlike when I first was learning, just trying to understand the movements. I also had gone regularly to a Buddhist temple years ago and am very familiar with meditation (Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion btw).

I just wanted to share this update with you. I am so happy to have finally found what looks like a light at the end of a tunnel. A tunnel that for so long had me bound in chains. Finally the chains have crumbled apart and I've been able to move forward, slowly of course so that I don't trip. It looks like I might be able to achieve my long term goal, one that I had not in my heart felt it to be possible. PTSD has been the most challenging thing that I've had to deal with in my life so far, and am glad to have finally found a way to fight back.

Thanks!

Jeff K