Does your psychiatrist have the right to change the dose of your medication without advising you?

kaismama 19 Nov 2014

Its not a good practice, but he is the dr. If he wanted to do it right, he should have discussed it with you. Drs can change doses, refuse to order something, or anything else they want to do. I wouldn't go to one who did that without a discussion, but there are drs out there who still think they are God.

lynnoffcym 2 Jan 2015

I live in the state of Kentucky, and I am not an attorney or otherwise expert in the law. I do know that even when hospitalized you have the right to refuse a medication unless it is an "emergency situation" or the medication is court ordered. I also know many doctors will not treat you if you do not "comply." Fortunately, I have never been forced to take a medication, even though I have been manic, psychotic, or in a suicidal depression. But, on the other hand, at times I have not been competent at times to truly be able to know if a medication would be useful. I generally took whatever was given. I hope I never have to go back to such a point in my life. I would such you contact such organizations as NAMI (National Alliance of the Mentally Ill) if you have questions about your rights.