Does prozac Relieve Hot Flashes ?

masso 26 Dec 2013

Click on the link for a list of medications:

https://www.drugs.com/condition/hot-flashes.html

Take care,

masso.-

pickles503 27 Dec 2013

Hi Sharon. Yes, prozac can help hot flashes. This is info that might help:
elective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI's): This class of medication is used to treat depression and anxiety. In clinical studies, however, low doses of SSRI's have been shown to be effective in decreasing menopausal hot flashes. The SSRI that has been tested most extensively is venlafaxine (Effexor), although there is also evidence showing that paroxetine (Paxil, Paxil CR) and fluoxetine (Prozac) can be effective in controlling hot flashes.

I take Effexor. I didn't realize that it was helping with hot flashes until you asked this question. I've only been taking it for a month or so. Huh!
Enjoy your day,
Anna

kaw06 27 Dec 2013

Thanks pickles! I didn't know that either!;^)

sharonaswmt 28 Dec 2013

Thanks !! I started today on Prozac... I told my dr. that I would eat dirt if it would help... As of now, I suffer from the hot flashes SO bad when I lay down, I am MISERABLE. First it's like cayenne pepper on face(the hottest hot ever) Then the chills. I have actually been hot and cold at the same time!!!

kaw06 28 Dec 2013

I understand COMPLETELY! :^)

Robynekaye 13 May 2014

Hi Sharon. I suffered with hormonal imbalance since late 20s and menopause began about age 45( I think) I tried various treatments from Chinese herbs to creams and just over two months ago succumbed to angelique. Can't say I feel great yet but the fullness of hot flashes have dissipated. Not entirely, though I have just endured a stressful accident at work that has elevated stress and anxiety. I'll be sticking with angelique for at least a year.