Does propranolol help with anxiety? Also used for high BP?

Rathmullan 30 Sep 2018

Ros:

Yes, Definitely! Works in a backwards way. You may feel anxious but propranolol won't let anxiety systems (shaking, racing heart , breathing issues, cold sweat) break through - so it is oddly calming.

All the best.

Ros 2 1 Oct 2018

Hello Rathmullan,

What makes you so versed on these medications? I mean that in a good way! If this medication is so calming, then why is it not prescribed more often for anxiety? The reason I asked this questions-my sister is taking that drug for high BP, but still needs an anti-anxiety drug like Xanax to calm her down when she gets stressed.

Appreciate your comment!

Rathmullan 1 Oct 2018

Ros:

You are most welcomed. I'm just here to help when I can, and to be helped. I, unfortunately, have a long personal history with depression and anxiety and panic disorder. These afflictions are my cross to bear for whatever reason. I feel compelled to share my experience when and where appropriate.

Take care for now.