Pressure pain when biting down on right side of jaw both upper & lower spreads out to ear ache?

LittleBeansMommy 29 Dec 2010

I suggest you check in with your dentist. I have experienced something similar and got some insight from my DDS (who is a Prosthodontist). My cross bite, combined with a tendency to unconsciously clench my teeth under stress, aggravates the jaw joint and muscles. It's not chronic pain, but when it flares up, it may last for weeks and leaves me with a very tender jaw, headache, and ear ache.

For short-term relief, my MD has prescribed metaxalone tablets or diclofenac sodium lotion. The latter is a NSAID, btw.

Pain relief aside, your dentist can help you get to the root cause of the problem, such as ruling out TMD (Temporomandibular disorder). Good luck!

Anonymous 29 Dec 2010

Hi,
I agree with MarketingVeep, sounds like a cross bite along with TMJD, dentist can fit you with a mouth guard, which prevents you from grinding/clenching in your sleep.
Hope you feel better soon,

DzooBaby 4 Jan 2011

I agree. Sounds like TMJD. You should see a dentist ASAP. They have a number of treatments to try for TMJD pain.

DzooBaby 4 Jan 2011

I agree. It sounds like TMJD. You should see your dentist ASAP. They have a number of treatments to try for TMJD pain.