Prescribed prometrin, not yet menopausal, family history of breast cancer, should I be taking this?

itsmetoo2 3 Apr 2010

Generic Name: progesterone (proe JESS te role)
I had a-typical cancer cells in my breasts. This drug is a hormone and no one could pay me enough to take this drug. If you are starting hot flashes use Neutron that will work fine for hot flashes.

Best Wishes, glad you are on top of things in your health. I wish everyone would be like you.

oceanluvr 3 Apr 2010

Hi Melissa,

I think you meant to say you were perscibed Premarin which comes from horse urine. It does not match our human estrogen at all because it comes from the urine of a pregnant mare. Do some research on Bio identical hormones.

itsmetoo2 3 Apr 2010

What is Prometrium (progesterone)?
Progesterone is a female hormone important for the regulation of ovulation and menstruation.

Progesterone is used to cause menstrual periods in women who have not yet reached menopause but are not having periods due to a lack of progesterone in the body. Progesterone is also used to prevent overgrowth in the lining of the uterus in postmenopausal women who are receiving estrogen hormone replacement therapy.

Progesterone should not be used to prevent heart disease or dementia, because this medication may actually increase your risk of developing these conditions.

Progesterone may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/prometrium.html