Can I become pregnant if I only started the birth control patch for a day and had intercorst?

DzooBaby 1 Dec 2012

If you started your patch on the first day of your period, the manufacturer claims that you are protected, if you started any other day other than the day your period starts then you need to use back up, like a condom for seven days after you first apply the patch.

First Day Start-The woman should apply her first patch during the first 24 hours of her menstrual period.
Sunday Start-The woman should apply her first patch on the first Sunday after her menstrual period begins. With this option, a non-hormonal backup method of birth control, such as a condom or diaphragm and spermicide, is needed for the first 7 days of the first cycle only. If her period starts on a Sunday, the first patch should be applied that day, and no backup contraception is needed.
When Switching From the Pill or Vaginal Contraceptive Ring to the Patch-If the woman is switching from the pill or vaginal contraceptive ring to Ortho Evra®, she should complete her current pill cycle or vaginal ring cycle and apply the first Ortho Evra® patch on the day she would normally start her next pill or insert her next vaginal ring. If she does not get her period within a week after taking the last active pill or removing the last vaginal ring, she should check with her healthcare professional to be sure that she is not pregnant, but she may go ahead and start Ortho Evra® for contraception. If the patch is applied more than a week after taking the last active pill or removal of the last vaginal ring, a non-hormonal contraceptive should be used concurrently for the first 7 days of patch use.

I wouldnt trust it as the only contraceptive until you have used at least one patch.

kaismama 1 Dec 2012

I have a question for you dzoo, is that based on the fact that most women don't ovulate during their period? I sure wouldn't trust it if that was the reason.

DzooBaby 3 Dec 2012

yes. I still think back up should be used the first month but the manufacturer claims are different, of course the manufacturer doesnt have to be the one to care for a surprise pregnancy! I still recommend using back up for a month for best protection and at least a week minimal, no matter what the manufacturer claims.