How does prednisone effect diabetes?

kaismama 30 Mar 2013

Not only will it send your blood sugar skyrocketing, it will leave you really prone to infection.

Fragilexmom 31 Mar 2013

Kaismama you are so right. When I have bad asthma attacks or colds my Dr. put me on prednisone taken insulin shots ever hour to keep diabetes out of 200's to 400's.

endlessPred 3 Apr 2013

Blood sugars do go up. Be very careful with your diet. Let your endocrinologist know about this, they adjust your meds accordingly. Very important to check with Endo whenever new meds start.

If you are taking a small dose pack. This is temporary and you will be fine. As it is only for a few days. If it is long term, Endo remains the key. I have been doing this for eight years and as long as I check with Endo all is well.

I have not had soaring blood sugars as I use an R insulin and background NPH insulin. Easy to control. Good luck with this. Karen