On Pred and levocin almost done. for Lung infection, can I start light exercise, feel week?

endlessPred 12 Jul 2013

Depends upon what you are doing for exercise. Walking is the start. Of you become short of breath it is not time to exercise. T usually takes at least two weeks after a pneumonia before the body has rebuilt its strength. If a strong cough persists, very limited and no weight baring is the best. The infection may be gone but the body remains busy healing the damage. You have to give it a chance.

Have you been to the doctor to confirm you are better? Based upon your general health he may tell you sooner or not. If it hasn't fully cleared, go by his recommendation so you have the best chance to heal. You don't want permanent scar tissue because you over did it.

marti545 12 Jul 2013

Thanks, feel weak from laying around, predisone side effects, shaky, lightheaded. I'll wait, walking around doing just a little still getting out of breath. I'll be done with pred Sunday and antobotics Tues... New on this site, thanks for your advise

endlessPred 12 Jul 2013

Prednisone can slow you down but the disease is the real energy drain. I think you can count on a couple more weeks from the disease alone. Light tasks can be done. Until the cough is infrequent and climbing a flight of stairs doesnt wind you, count your self as healing. Laying around is important when so ill. Sleep, eat good food and enjoy some quiet. You will be back in the race soon enough. Too soon too busy and there is a potential of another round of the disease. We are fortunate to have good health care and survive these infections. Stay strong! Karen

marti545 12 Jul 2013

Thank you, I really appreciate all the information, I'm 70 and I'm so surprised by my muscle weakness in my legs, read it was from the antiobotics also. I'm use to being so active. Went through this early part of this year but it didn't hit me like this I USUALLY GET 2 flareups a year but this is 2 in 6 months :(

marti545 12 Jul 2013

PS: no coughing justshort of breath... 90degrees and humid, staying in AC

marti545 13 Jul 2013

Also taking zolpidem10mg for several months, would this interfere with other meds?

endlessPred 13 Jul 2013

I'm 63. It seems the older we get the longer it takes to get better. Have you considered going to PT to help you get going again? They can give you an evaluation and ideas how to proceed. But mostly you need to rest.

By the way, what type of pneumonia did you have? That can be part of this as well.

endlessPred 13 Jul 2013

Has your breathing been evaluated? If your oxygen level is not high enough you may be having problems with that. I bought an oxyometer (choicemmed) from Walgreens for about $50 to be sure I am getting enough oxygen. It has helped me more than once. If your oxygen is below 90 while walking you need oxygen until you are healed. Not a big deal when you consider it saves the brain. If very low without walking you better get to the doctor right away. As we get older we tend to hold less oxygen so think about it.

Also if your pulse is going over 90 or even higher sitting, get to a doctor right away as your body is under distress. Shortness of breath can be due to pulse as well. Take care.

marti545 13 Jul 2013

No, if I'm not feeling better Monday I will call the Dr. again, thank you.. :)

marti545 15 Jul 2013

Feeling a little better not much, taking your advise about taking it easy! :) My blood pressure is usually 115/64 68 HR average. Not exerting myself at all, get winded after a couple minutes. I wasn't really diagnosed, this is just a reoccurance of what I've been through the last couple of years, just seem to last longer, like you said getting old is no fun! I was out of state in 2005 and almost bit the dust with pneumonia, I'm an x smoker also. :(

endlessPred 15 Jul 2013

Go see and let me know how you are. I will wait to. Hear from you. :-) k

marti545 15 Jul 2013

Thanks for being so patient with me, I'll wait till Wed, thats when I take my last antibiotic, took last 10mg pred today, unless I would get worse. Its just the getting short of breath that scares me and the anxiety... I have so much going on, out of state wedding in Aug. son and his wife expecting, health issues with hubby and a family out in Las Vegas,,, M