Least to most potent pain meds?

Sandra 7 29 Nov 2014

You don't say if you mean OTC or prescription drugs; also, it depends on what pain you are experiencing. For example, only aspirin helps my headaches, while Motrin is best for sore muscles like backache.

Nonetheless IMHO, In ascending order: OTC meds: Aspirin, Tylenol, Excedrin, Motrin
Rx meds: I'm referring to all these in pill form except Fentanyl which comes in patches that you adhere to your body. Darvon/ Darvocet is no better than aspirin, I think it may have even been discontinued. Tramadol aka Ultram, then Tylenol 3 (Tylenol with Codeine), Vicodin/Lortabs/Norco in varying strengths of Tylenol with hydrocodone, then oxycodone with Tylenol aka Percocet, then the heavy duty painkillers are Demerol, morphine, OxyContin in various strengths up to 160 mg, and finally fentanyl which as I said comes in patches.

Hope this helps-- there are certainly many more I left out, but all these are from memory and personal experience.

balbanese 30 Nov 2014

Please elaborate on your question.