Should I be worried? I mean, it's not so much a friend as rather a collection of different people I "hallucinate" (not too sure if that's the right term), conversations and other things with. And I mean proper conversations, I'll think of a topic, imagine saying it to one of my "imaginary friends" and imagine a response - sometimes I'll agree with the response and sometimes not.

Other times I might be outside having a smoke or something and I'll imagine one of them walking up to me and start chatting. Sometimes I'll imagine a made up friend, a stranger or a completely fictitious family member. Sometimes they'll have names and are reasonably well defined characters that I'll chat with a few times, others are just "on-offs", so to speak. I'll often get into arguments with them too... I know it sounds silly, but I will have fierce falling outs sometimes, to the point that I'm genuinely pissed off for the rest of the day and in an actual bad mood... even writing it I know how ridiculous it sounds, but it's just true!

If I need to go down the psychiatrist route, I can't really afford it to be honest, so I don't know what to do there.

I'm only child as well, would that have anything to do with it??