Phendimetrazine - Does anyone know is it's safe to take when nursing?

Rajive Goel 1 Jul 2010

Sandrra,

Does nursing mean - feeding the infant? Pardon my ignorance, please, if yes then this is what I found:

Bontril and Breastfeeding: it is not known if Bontril (phendimetrazine tartrate) passes through breast milk. Usually, healthcare providers recommend that women not take the drug while breastfeeding. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or planning to start, you should talk with your healthcare provider before taking Bontril.

Bontril and Breastfeeding: What Does the Research Say?
Bontril has not been studied in any women who were breastfeeding, and it is not known if the medication passes through breast milk. However, Bontril is chemically similar to amphetamines, which are known to pass through breast milk and can cause negative effects in breastfed infants. It is important to remember that breastfeeding is usually a time of increased caloric need for mothers, not a time for dieting.

Do consult the doc, hope this helps?

sandrra 1 Jul 2010

would you happen to know how long it stays in our system??

Rajive Goel 1 Jul 2010

I shall try but please reconfirm it from your pharmacist:

Excreted unchanged in the urine); the half-life ranging from: 16 to 31 hours