Why do people use lithium for drug uses?

Newyorkgal35 29 Aug 2016

Most Psychiatrist feel this is one of the best treatment. It has been around for years. Although you do have to have blood work to monitors your levels monthly at first than once you get to a certain level and balanced out every 6 months. Psychiatrists seem to love Lithium it wasn't for me because I for a lot of people causes a lot of weight gain. I can't be on any drug like that due to having recovered from an eating disorder obsessed with my weight. Hope I was somewhat helpful I am not very scientific but, have tried Lithium and did have weight gain right away and didn't like the lab work.

WildcatVet 29 Aug 2016

Lithium is a natural salt and it's use as a drug is the only true mood stabilizer. I've been taking lithium now for over 4 years for my Bipolar II subtype disorder and it's saved my life.
PS, no side effects either.

pete amora 9 Sep 2016

Aren't Lamictal, Seroquel and Abilify true mood stabilizers as they can be used as monotherapy?

WildcatVet 9 Sep 2016

Lamictal is an anti-epileptic like Tegretol, Topamax, etc., (which can have properties similar to lithium) whereas Seroquel and Abilify are antipsychotics.