Can Paxil make social anxiety totally disappear in the short term?

pulley99 18 Sep 2018

I have been taking Paxil for 15 years now and at first, for first 5/6 years, it made me feel a lot better but since then everyday is an effort. I have tried to wean off twice, to no avail. The only other thing I will say is that I wish I listened to my mother when my doctor told me it wasn't addictive 15 years ago. She said anything that makes you feel good is always addictive. Good luck.

WildcatVet 19 Sep 2018

Hi, Popcorn! Yes, it can if you respond to the medication. Not everyone reacts the same way to every medication... it's a trial and error situation.
You might see some minor improvement in the first weeks, but it usually takes 6-8 weeks to feel the full benefits. It depends on what you mean by short term... antidepressants/anxiolytics do not work immediately like the benzodiazepines which merely sedate you.
Best regards, Wildcat