I have been on Paxil 10 mg for a month. I’m switching to Prozac. Do I need to taper?

Rathmullan 4 Dec 2018

Hello Sherpy1:

I think the answer may depend on the dosage of Prozac you are starting with. In any event, ideally it would be great if you could stop the Paxil for a week so it is well out of your system before initiating the Prozac. However, your dosage of Paxil is low enough that I don't believe it would be absolutely necessary.

Meanwhile, the more I read and learn about these anti-depressants the more I feel that a "go slow" approach is warranted - depending of course on the severity of the condition. For example, it would be great if you could try on just 10 mg of Prozac for 2 months before concluding that you need to move up to 20 mg. IMHO, less can be more when it comes to these anti-depressants.

Take care for now and all the best.