I will try to be pretty brief with my details here but I'm pretty confused lately and would like some input from others.

I was seeing a psychiatrist most of last year for anxiety, panic, and depression, and I went through a slew of meds. I went through several SSRIs, none having a huge impact, but the benzos like Valium and Klonopin seemed to have the biggest relief for me, along with seeing a Ph.D psychotherapist. The first doctor had me on 1mg Klonopin twice a day, which just made me pretty sleepy, and the next doctor had me on 5mg Valium twice a day, which did next to nothing for my physical/panic symptoms.

I felt that the Klonopin lasted all day and calmed me enough to ever prevent panic episodes or the chest pains and such that would normally come about each day. I was involved in an auto accident and became dependent on pain medications, so I stopped all medications altogether, sought treatment, and just recently have began seeing a doctor again for my anxiety/panic issues. The psychiatrist office I am going to is scheduled far out, but I'm finally seeing the doctor in a few days, so in the meantime, I saw a family doctor here locally to help me until I can see the psychiatrist.

She decided to put me on Lexapro 10mg and gave me twenty 0.5mg Xanax, instructed me to only take one per day, IF needed. That's fine, but I have never been prescribed Xanax before and it's almost causing me more issues than it's helping. After I took it the first 3-5 times, one pill would noticeably kill my anxiety/panic and allow me to go about my day... however it only lasts for maybe 3-4 hours at the most, and when it wears off, I have worse anxiety almost, which makes me feel I need to take another, but I quickly realized taking this 3-4 times a day is just going to be a mess. She called me in a second bottle of twenty Xanax (same dosage) after those ran out, but after just 2-3 weeks of taking one a day, I'm already noticing that it takes more like 1-1.5mg to have the same benefit, and still only lasts a few hours. I don't know why she chose this one, but it sucks.

What should I tell my psychiatrist when I see him in a few days? I'm assuming he will prescribe something similar as my doctors have in the past, but Xanax's short-lasting help is just not what I need, and I found much more help from Klonopin for example. Is this normal that after this few doses that it's no longer having an effect? I read of people who have been on the same dose of Xanax for years, and I just don't see how that's possible from my experience lately.

Sorry for the long description but I wanted to be detailed so I can get proper responses, thanks for reading and helping!