Pain - Does any patient allergic to COX - II inhibitor take COX - I inhibitor?

LaurieShay 7 Jun 2011

Hey anirbandas,

First let me try to explain the difference between the Cox I and Cox II inhibitor. Cox I inhibitor is not as selective for the enzymes it prevents from working thus it not only reduces inflammation but also reduces the natural mucosal lining of the stomach thus increasing the risk of stomach ulceration. COX I inhibitors are medications like aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen and certain NSAIDS.

The Cox II inhibitor is more selective of the enzymes it affects only preventing the action of inflammation and not interupting the action of the mucus lining of the stomach. Thus why the Cox II inhibitor is preferred. An example of a COX II inhibitor is Celebrex.

Therefore if a patient is allergic to a COX II inhibitor they most likely will be allergic to a COX I inhibitor BUT if the patient is allergic to a COX I inhibitor they may not be allergic to a COX II inhibitor. Make sense?

If you could tell me the medicine the patient was allergic to then I might be able to make a recommendation of a medicine they could possible take based on the above information.

Hope this helped,

Laurie