... them i notic
Your question was cut off but I think I may know what you were going to ask. Yes, Oxycontin is different now. They changed the formula a couple years ago to make it harder to abuse. Many of us using the drug noticed a huge difference in its effectiveness as well. They added a polymer to make it resistant to crushing. If you hit it with a hammer, it just kind of flattens out and breaks into big chunks. These chunks retain some of their time release properties. The old formula was easily crushed and then abused by snorting or injecting to defeat the time release properties and get the full dose all at once, packing a big punch. The new formula with added polymers doesnt mix well with water-it turns to a gel like gloop so it cant be injected and it gels up in the nose when snorted so it cant be absorbed well by nasal mucosa. These new added abuse deterrent properties would have been great if the drug worked as it should when one takes it by swallowing the pill whole but many of us found it didnt work nearly as well as the old formula. This is partly because of absorption issues but also because they changed the way it releases. The old formula would release 40% of the drug dose right away then released the other 60% over twelve hours. The new formula doesnt release that 40% bolus, it releases the whole dose slowly over the twelve hour time. I found that the drug took hours to start relieving pain where with the old formula, I started feeling relief in 15-30 minutes. I ended up changing to other long acting drugs because this formula change ruined it for me! And I've never abused my pain meds. (I found out about the formula changes with online research)
- OxyContin Information for Consumers
- OxyContin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of OxyContin (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Back Pain - can anyone help? I broke my back 10 yrs ago and ive been on opiates for over 10 yrs,so i
Posted 19 Jan 2010 • 2 answers
Posted 20 Apr 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 6 Jan 2012 • 2 answers
For patients prescribed OP - which is the newer form of (OxyContin).Coming back with OC 2012 Spring?
Posted 23 Feb 2012 • 4 answers
Posted 24 Mar 2014 • 1 answer