I was on oxycodone (10mg 2x day), ibuprofen (800mg 2x day), and gabapentin (300mg 2x day) for two years following a car accident where I broke my back and pelvis. I found out it was impacting my testosterone so I got off of it by seeing a chiropractor once a month for about a year and a half.

Last week I fell off my bike and re injured my back and hip. The doctor put me on 10 mg of Oxycodone twice a day. The first day I took one was exhausted and fell asleep. The next day I woke up later than normal and took the first dose. I didn't get any relief, but began to feel sick with the chills attributing it to the pain. I took my next dose in the evening (7 hours later) and something went wrong. I started feeling very angry and agitated. I was reading a book but couldn't concentrate on the text. All of the sudden my brain felt like it was being shocked, my heart was beating fast, my hands were sweaty, my limbs were going numb. I became incredibly anxious telling my wife I thought I was either having a stroke or a heart attack and that I needed to go to the ER. She called the doctor and explained what was happening and he said don't take anymore of the medication and go to the ER if it gets worse. By this time the effects began to go away slowly, but I was up until about 4 AM with the fear that I might fall asleep and not wake up.

The doctor isn't sure what the issue is but I have an appointment to see him later this week. My wife searched the internet for my symptoms and says it sounds like serotonin syndrome, something that Oxycodone can trigger if you are on antidepressants. I took Wellbutrin (100mg) for three months ending in July to help quit smoking, but I thought it would have been gone from my system by now. I haven't found anything that indicates that a low dose of Oxycodone could cause an issue like this. I am incredibly worried that I have irreversibly harmed my brain.