I have not been on bc for at least 6-7 years, and I just recently started using NuvaRing. I put it in for the first time on the 20th of October, which was about three-four days after the end of my last menstrual period. My doctor told me that it should be effective because the hormones keep the follicles on the wall of your uterus from growing, and it would be safe because it was so soon after my period that the follicles may not have started growing yet and I would be safe. Then my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex, now the 27th, and he did not pull out. After reading the directions, they say to insert it the first day of your cycle, or 2-5 days after your cycle begins. I inserted mine 2-5 days after my cycle ended! My doctor said it was okay, but I feel like that's sketchy and he's not an OB so I'm not sure if he was right. Any possibility I could get pregnant? I don't even know if the ring is effective right now.
Side note: My doctor also told me that if I waited too long after my period to put it in, it wouldn't be effective until my next cycle. But the directions say only to use side contraception for a week. So I don't know what to believe.