Nortriptyline - is this medication used for depression or back pain?

DancnDar 17 Sep 2016

Yes, Nortriptyline can be used for both depression and for pain. There are quite a few antidepressants that are used for pain too. I take Amitriptyline (which is in the same family as Nortriptyline) for depression, sleep and pain.

Stevemary 26 Sep 2016

Depression I think. I have been on it 36 years. Best med for depression I have ever taken, but all the many doctors. I've been to, i have to beg to prescribe. I know it's old but i can't take SSRI's. So i'm loaded up on all these other meds to get the same effect. I do take 25 mg of nortriptyline to help me sleep. I don't know about the back. I have fibromyalgia and it's never helped any back pain at this baby dose although I have taken as much as 100 mg in the past. It's never helped body aches at all for me. Sorry