I have A neg. blood. In 1972,after my child's birth, I was given Rhogam. Does it still effect me?

FMTaherDO 15 Aug 2017

Rhogham is given because you were RhD negative.by RhD i mean the positive or negative blood type. If you are blood type + then you have the RhD antigen do you would have never been given Rhogham. It was given because in case you have a tear or trauma such that the fetuses blood leaks into your body, you would form anti RhD antibodies. Subsequent pregnancies would be attacked by these antibodies. Therefore Rhogham is an antibody that would have bound the baby's RhD and hid it from your immune system thereby effectively making it so that you were never exposed to RhD.

Therefore if you did not have any subsequent pregnancies its effects still last. Meaning it's still like you've never been exposed to RhD. Should you have had another pregnancy after that you should have been given rhogham then too. If you weren't then it's possible you would react to RhD antigen.

Hope that helps!

Stephen Treloar 16 Aug 2017

Hence the old style blood tests to test for Rh incompatibility. If it was not for more enlightened people me and my siblings would never have been born (I'm normally thankful I was) but that was an AB- and and O+ cross to produce A+ offspring. Mom found the pregnancies unpleasant.