My Synthroid dose was recently decreased. I have gained 15 lbs in 2 months. How do I reverse this?

Anonymous 19 Sep 2011

Kim, mine hasbeen changed so much in the past year, i don't have an answer for you. I have not gained wt the last year. In one year I went from 100mcg to 50 mcg and last wk up to 75mcg. They have scared me to death with it and I stay tired all the time. What dose do you take and do you have a thyroid? If you don't mind me asking. Von-1

Kimweeden 19 Sep 2011

I do not have a thyroid and i take 75 mcg now. I didn't know if there is any other way to increase your metabolism without a thyroid?

Anonymous 19 Sep 2011

The took out my thyrod about 9yrs ago. This is some info I know that I acn give you. Do you stay tired all the time? I do.
1) take synthorid 1-2 hrs before having calciun, caffeine, iron, vitamins
2) take synthorid 1-2 hrs before eating
3) avoid soy, it neutralizes meds
4) grapefruit slows down metabolism
I set my clock and take my synthorid at 6am, and go back to sleep til about 8am, that way I don't get up wanting my coffee and have to wait. Don't know if this helped. If I find anything else I will let you know. Von-1

Kimweeden 19 Sep 2011

I try to take it when I first get up around 6 then go to the gym for about an hour and come home to get ready for work. I eat around 8:30 or 9 and have my coffee at work. I wait to take calcium until the afternoon. There are some days I feel worse than others. I have had my thyroid out for almost 5 years now. I don't want this trend to continue! Thanks for your help!

Anonymous 19 Sep 2011

Kim, sounds like you are doing all the right stuff, don't know. My level last wk was 9.210... ugh. I just don't kow if its the doc or me. Von-1

Kimweeden 19 Sep 2011

Mine was too high in July when I went for a check up so they lowered the dosage. Now 15 pounds later... UGH!

smileyhappy 19 Sep 2011

Hi Kim,
I was taking Synthroid 75, then in June up to 88 then in Sept. 100. Even when I was going up a dose in June my levels were 2.95 from 2.84 so she went to 100 and I feel a difference now. I actually lost 3 pounds last week. If your levels are not good your metabolism does not work well and you cannot loose weight you actually sometimes gain weight. My levels are supposed to be between 1 and 2. Good luck hope this helps you.

Anonymous 19 Sep 2011

Last wk my level was 9.210 !!! Von

smileyhappy 19 Sep 2011

No wonder you are so tired!